2/16/12

Writing advice from Ruth Harrap

Whenever I start to take myself too seriously, I reread Penelope Lively's “Crumbs of Wisdom.”  In the story, Elaine, a writing teacher and "published writer ... whose two novels, long out of print, could occasionally be tracked down in public libraries," is thrilled that she and her students are to be given audience with Ruth Harrap, a once-famous romance novelist.  In this scene, Elaine and her students are gathered in Ruth Harrap’s flat.

At this moment there came the unmistakable sound of a lavatory being flushed. Ruth Harrap re-entered the room, adjusting her skirt, and sat down again without a word. The group fidgeted uneasily.
“Have a look round the garden if you like,” said Ruth Harrap.
The group gazed out of the window, beyond which the conifers and a rectangle of lank grass were almost obscured by a curtain of drizzle.
“Well ...,” murmured Elaine. “What we’re all wondering,” she went on brightly, “is ... what advice would you give to the aspiring writer?”
“The who?”
“Aspiring writer. The ... you know ... person who wants to write.”
"You needn’t spell it out,” said Ruth Harrap tartly, displaying her first sign of animation. “I couldn’t hear you, that’s all.” She paused. “Don’t. That’s what I’d say.”
Elaine laughed merrily. “Oh, I do understand. I mean, in my humble way I’ve toiled in the vineyard as well. I know. It’s grueling. Punishing. But the rewards, Miss Harrap! And I don’t of course mean financial rewards. The artistic satisfaction. All that.”
There was a silence. The author stared at Elaine, her face knotted in disapproval. “That may be your experience, for what it’s worth. It’s not mine. I never wrote but for cash. I wanted to be a buyer in a department store. Never got promotion. Ten years in china and gifts, I was, and then all those books, and I don’t know which was worst.” She heaved herself to her feet again. “You’d better have some tea before you go. How many with sugar?”
. . .

No comments: